It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:31 am

Weapon question 
Wanker

Post Weapon question
I hate to break the tradition of posting stupid, funny, pointless threads, but I figure I should ask this before I start trying to construct it.

Now, I realize I'm a noob, and that I should start out pretty basic, but this sounds cool and I haven't heard anything about it yet.

I plan on making a pair of basic Blue swords, and I'd like to make a pair of Red swords. The thing is, I'd like to be able to stab AND slash with these things. I've got an idea of stabbing a fiberglass rod halfway through a nerf football and then duct-taping it on and coating the rest of the rod in foam, but if anyone else has any better suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Also, at the last skirmish/practice I saw someone running around with two massive Red swords. This was cool. Is this allowed in events, or since they're supposed to be two-handed, can you only carry one? I'd like to make a pair of formidable weapons with which I can stab and slash and since Red swords have the ability to take out shields, I'd like to use these, but if double-reds is discouraged, I'll stick with the Blues.

Last question. What's the policy on cords tied to the handle of any weapon? It'd be nice to be able to "chain" two blades together at the hilts by maybe a 5'-6' rope/bungie, or at least make a cord with a velcro strap on the end so I can attach them to my wrists in case I lose grip of one in battle. I'd also like to be able to hurl these things in the middle of a fight and stab someone from five feet away and still retract the weapon back to my hand. Is this doable?

Thanks in advance.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:30 pm
I'm right with you, Red Three

First off, this is definately not the place for this topic, so I'll move it.

In answer to your questions, Kalcuul was the one fighting with the florentine red (covered) swords. I don't think they're actually long enough to count as red. Close, but not quite.

Yeah, it's legal to fight with two redswords if you want.

Stabby-tip - You'll hurt someone if you make it like that, if it even passes. You need to probably penny-tip the core, as well as use some closed cell (blue foam) underneath the open cell (nerf ball). A word of caution, stabbing tips (on swords, at least) tend to break down very quickly, which is why you don't see many of them around, but if you want to make some, go for it.

Cords? Tying two swords together = a no no. A five or six foot cord could easily strangle/entangle someone, and entangling weapons are expressly forbidden. It's just not safe.

A very short cord in a loop, on the other hand (a lanyard, basically) is perfectly fine, some people do do this with their weapons.

Throwing blue (or red) weapons is typically a no brainer. Yellow and white weapons (javy's, arrows, and rocks) are the only weapons that can cause damage when thrown, and are the only weapons that should be thrown.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:12 pm
I'm right with you, Red Three

You might already know this, but it wasn't evident from your post. Red weapons need two hands on them for the entirety of the swing for the strike to count as a red, otherwise it counts as a blue hit.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:21 pm
Wanker

Gotcha, no tied weapons, lanyards are cool though. Red weapons can be wielded one-handed, but only count as red when wielded with two. Nix on the football tip for a sword, learn some other way for a stabbing tipped sword.

Thanks

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:34 pm
Canadian

In addition to what derian said, you cannot tie/bind two weapons together as there are a specific set of rules for double weapons. Check on the national boards at belegarth dot com for the Book of War and the specifics of weapon making. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions, people with initiative are always welcome.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:55 pm