It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Where??? 
Ass for hat

Post Where???
Where will Mel be next year? Discuss.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:18 am
I'm right with you, Red Three

I think we should go back to Thunderwoman or Black Hawk. We can reserve these on January 1st, so as long as we've made a decision within the next three months or so, last year shouldn't happen again.

I hated Ingawanis. Yes, it was amazing that we could pull off that event with two day's notice, but when we have ample planning time, that's not a very good site.

The field was entirely too big, the camping area was... sub par, parking was a mess. There was also lots of random mundane stuff everywhere, like giant barns. The main fire area got a little cramped when everyone had shown up, and last year's Mel was small. Not to even touch on the booze thing.

I know I sound like I'm just whining - I'm not trying to, I just think that BH/TW would be a much better choice when given the opprotunity.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:23 am

I know some people seem to have a problem with Black Hawk, even after all the stuff they pull for us. I guess what I want to know is what they think the problems are with Black Hawk and why we shouldn't have it there.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:39 am
Mama NB

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:41 am
Team I can't get enough cum in my mouth

I've never been to Thunderwoman... is sounds a little butch to me.

I really liked Blackhawk in the past. It's open and yet everything is centered. The fighting field is interesting and suitable for the size of the event.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:48 pm
We're still gonna need a backup plan incase the same thing happens again. I think the other parks are better overall, but Ingawana's should stay as the backup plan and should be aware that they are the backup plan before we have to resort to it. Unless, of course, theres ANOTHER fighting field that is better, doesnt flood, has ample parking, and camping spaces.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:39 pm
A lot of things happened last year that were definately way out of our control. Between changing locations very last minute due to flooding, extremely cold wind in a very large and open field that was very hilly, stupid on the field crap that no one was in the mood to have happen and then yes, the lack of booze at night. I think we are all in agreeance that we do not need an amazing field or a super huge camping area or anything like that. We are a homely event with good people and good fun and little drama, or basically everything that wasn't last Mel. One thing I'd like us to look at this year is the dates of our event. Last year we again had to work around CF graduation and ended up smacking us with Illinious grads and finals crap. This year high school graduation should not be a factor. So what we should do is talk to wolfpack and numenor and see what dates will definately not work out for them and even take suggestions from them for a maximum turnout. Also, we have to look at uni finals time. This event is a good way for our fighters to not have to travel to get some national level experience and help spark their interests. Also, wolfpack is a huge and awesome addition to Mel and I for one felt like the event was less fun simpley because some of them couldn't make it.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:00 pm
that was Bodhi. I forgot my username and password.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:02 pm
Ass for hat

I agree 100% with everything Bodhi said. And remember, we are scheduling Mel AND Arm next year, so we should abuse that to the max. ;)

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:20 pm
Dick Marbles

Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:55 pm

Because even though the majority of NB might not drink, the majority of the people in attendance will be drinking, regardless of our policy on it and it's better to have a place that is ok with drinking as opposed to one where we'll get kicked out.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:25 pm
Is Probably Better than You Are

I think we need to get a new place inside the county so that the park service can still give us shit, and so that we don't have the option of getting flodded out.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:00 pm
Hoser

Post RE: One suggestion
Please keep some of the ISU dates in mind...many of us couldn't make it last year due to being gone for the summer.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:28 am

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:10 am
Canadian

Ok, with all this in mind, we need to figure out a date that we would like to have this before where. That way when we go to the parks, we have our shit together. Calarn or anyone from ISU, give us some dates that absolutely do not work for ISU students and then point us near a few dates that you are certain would be easy to attend. Probably bring this up with a few others too.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:14 pm

I think the 28th, 29th and 30th of April are going to be our best bet. This is what Melcaorme has always been in the past (with the exception of last year) and yeah, it kind of sucks that it's so close to SW and Beltaine (and finals week), but honestly, there is no perfect time. We've always gotten good numbers with this weekend, and I think we should go back to it.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:44 pm
Canadian

I agree with Derian, it has been tougher for ISU students to get to that date with finals and all, but the out of state numbers have been good, and the weather passable.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:31 am
Ass for hat

I would like to point out that many of the problems that we encountered while at ingiwanis were the direct result of a rushed planning. The alcohol was not and is not a problem, at least not any more of a problem than it was/is at black hawk. We dealt with it on a don't ask/don't tell policy and stressed cleaning up the evidence. Officially our policy still stands as a hardline "no drinking for minors" but we're all aware of how far that policy usually makes it at a belegarth event. I'm not sure about you guys, but I was sure as hell drinking last year, and judging by the amount of bottles that were brought back to my house by the cleanup crew, so were many other people (the vikings were even selling their mead). Simply put, you're no more likely to get kicked out of ingawanis than you are any public park.

I am unaware of a parking problem, but feel that it could be dealt with if indeed it was a problem. Because of our lack of time to prepare, logistical details such as parking were of minor concern. This meant that we were unable to find the time to string lines that would have kept things more orderly.

The main fire was a problem, but the solution would simply be to move it to a different, bigger site. As for the field being too large I fail to see how that is an issue at all, what is the problem with having extra space? Furthermore, if it is really that much of a problem then we could always pick a different fighting field, the camp has quite a few of them that would work. If what you mean is what bohdi said about the large field being very windy then I agree with you but submit that there is nothing that can be done about that, just as there was nothing that could be done about the flooding. The weather is what it is and short of an act of god (jesus?) we just have to deal with it (make sure you do some praying in early april just in case).

Camping area is another thing thatis easily sorted out, we gave people the option of using any of the campsites that they chose (except the one that was occupied by the JROTC) the trouble was that few people (kyrian and sorcia as the notable exceptions) chose to use any area other than the one right next to the field. Giant Mundane stuff? You mean like picinic shelters? What about cabins and a feast hall? I'm fairly sure that those are pretty mundane.

And what exactly is this two days notice that you're talking about? Try more along the lines of 12-24 hours notice.

If you want some place that's in the county then you're going to have to deal with the risk of flooding again, since those are the areas that noone really wants to build in and thus are the areas that the county owns and oversees.

Furthermore, I prefer ingawanis for it's seclusion. I realize that this makes it slightly difficult to get to, but how many people ever realized just how hidden "hidden springs" is? We won't be bothered there at all and I have been assured that if we get our reservation in soon enough we can avoid bumping into little army wannabe jagoffs. Furthermore the ranger and I have discussed the possibility of opening up some of the camps cabins to our groups for those who prefer to rough it in a little more comfort (though I am wary of the feasibilityof this plan due to the scattered nature of the cabins placement throughout the camp).

The only thing that we need from the park service is the kettle, and that is the personal property of Al Weber who will loan it to us regardless of the site we choose. Firewood is provided by the camp and porto jons aren't a problem when you have the non porto type close by.

I personally think that we should go back to ingawanis and adress the problems that we had rather than just saying awww fuck it and getting stuck with flooded site again.

Please post any other problems you have with the site last year that they may be considered objectively rather than just being called "site problems" without considering the rush and strain that we were under to throw any kind of event at all.

Also, I don't care where we have it, midnight parades will still be kept under 120 decibels and noone will be riding on the roof or hood of a car (though the bed of a truck will be acceptable so long as the occupants are sitting and not surfing.).

Thanks for you consideration,
Rowan the Ready

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:02 am
Canadian

I'll say that i didnt mind the park. If there are other options to look at for fighting fields then great, but that one was good enough for me.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:20 pm
Ass for hat

Bohdi- By "park" do you mean the field we used at the camp? Or possibly the space we had at Black Hawk? Maybe you mean thunderwoman park? Perhaps you could specify so that your comment would be relevant and useful to the discussion.

I would still like to see more discussion of this issue if people really think that it is one. From what I can tell the only thing that people really want is a site we can garuntee won't be underwater. Black Hawk and the county in general will have difficulty giving this to us. Ingiwanis on the other hand can provide more than enough non submerged area, even in the event of a flood (as was proved last year).

This isn't a time issue yet, but we should probably have a place and date set in stone at least by december.

Rowan the Relevant

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:53 am